Two buttons (1) a large white metal button in lovely condition. The obverse has the three castles of Dublin, surrounded by the inscription “Póilini Átha Cliath ” (Gaelic for Dublin Police.) It is maker marked to reverse “J. Ireland & Son Dublin”. Scarce, only a short number of years in existance. (2) Also, an identical small sized button. Both in very good condition.
When the Irish Free State was created, the old DMP continued in service (unlike the RIC which was disbanded) The DMP in effect were re-badged and given a Gaelic title – Poiliní Átha Cliath – or in English – Dublin Police. In 1925 they came under the control of the Garda Siocána. So in effect the Póilini only existed from 1922 to 1925 making these buttons span a very short period in Irish police history.